LANGUAGE AND TRANSLATION - PORTUGUESE AND BRAZILIAN II
The course aims to consolidate students' ability to deal with translation and grammar problems in the Portuguese language, with particular attention to aspects relating to norms, variation and sociolinguistic differences. The course must allow students to:
- Observe, analyze and discuss fundamental phenomena and aspects of the Portuguese language, from a diachronic, diatopic and sociolinguistic perspective.
- Deepen some fundamental elements of Italian-Portuguese contrastive grammar to identify structural differences at the morphological, lexical, syntactic and textual level.
- Deepen the observation and analysis of problems, defects and translation errors.
- To deal with short texts that include specific cultural terms, idiomatic expressions and issues of a syntactic nature.
- Dealing with different types of communicative act, based on sender, recipient and extra-linguistic context, and with diversified text types (describe, argue, regulate, narrate), identifying the key ideas in view of translation.
- Create short translations of specialized, popular, para-literary and literary texts.
Portuguese / Level B1
The course will focus on the varieties of the Portuguese language (with particular attention to the diatopic aspect) with a view to translation. Through the analysis and study of various text types, methodological, linguistic and sociocultural problems will be observed and commented on, in order to develop and consolidate linguistic-argumentative strategies, as well as reflection and discussion on specific solutions in the target language.
1. Bertazzoli, RaffaellaLa traduzione: teorie e metodi, Roma, Carocci, 2018 (cap. 3-4)
2. Cardeira E. - Mateus, M. H. Mira, Norma e Variação, Lisboa, Caminho, 2007.
3. Lanciani, Giulia - Tavani, Giuseppe, Grammatica portoghese, Milano, LED Edizioni Universitarie, 1993 (Appendice).
4. Pinto, Paulo Feytor, (O essencial sobre) Política de Língua, Lisboa, INCM, 2010.
The first part of the course will be dedicated to the study of translation theories and methods, and to the deepening of differences and similarities between the varieties of the Portuguese language (European, Brazilian and African). Subsequently, starting from the synoptic and contrastive analysis of some translations (ita-por / por-ita) of diversified text types, semantic, pragmatic, stylistic and discursive aspects will be highlighted and studied. In the second part of the course, short passages selected from descriptive, specialist, argumentative, regulatory and narrative texts will be translated, with the aim of developing and consolidating linguistic-argumentative strategies and tools to address the problematic issues that emerged from the translations.
The corpus of texts will be uploaded to the Elly platform before the course starts.
Verification of knowledge and language skills takes place through a pre-exam written in Portuguese which also includes a translation test based on the topics covered during the course. The knowledge and skills that are intended to be verified in this test are: a competence of the Portuguese language corresponding to level B2 (12 CFU) of the Common European Framework of Reference.
An assessment of insufficiency is determined by the lack, demonstrated by the student during the oral exam, of a knowledge of the minimum contents of the course; the lack of independent preparation and the inability to solve problems related to the retrieval of information and the decoding of texts. A sufficient evaluation (18-23 / 30) is determined by the learning of the minimum and fundamental contents of the course; by a sufficient autonomous preparation, by the ability to solve problems related to the retrieval of information and the decoding of texts with the formulation of autonomous judgments. The average scores (24-27 / 30) are assigned to the student who has a more than sufficient (24-25 / 30) or good (26-27 / 30) level of the indicators listed above. The highest scores (28-30 / 30 and 30/30 cum laude) are assigned based on the demonstration of an excellent to excellent level of the indicators listed above.